Thursday, January 12, 2012

Miliband re-launch sensation

Bet the title caught you by surprise.  Miliband and sensation in the same sentence.  The so-called re-launch might just as easily have passed you by, what with Tesco knocking 30p off of a dozen eggs and still giving Club Points!!  (Just kidding!)

Seriously though.

I would have expected any statement from Ed to have started:

"We are sorry."

"Let me say that again.  We are VERY sorry."

"We got it spectacularly wrong on Public Spending.  We were way too arrogant and conceited when we said we have abolished 'boom and bust' - I was there and I know how we strutted around!"

"We were wrong (boy that is a difficult phrase, to say!) to focus on unaffordable spending and not impose adequate regulation on the banking sector"

"Equally, myself and my other Ed have been wrong to keep on banging on about not making cuts and spending our way out of the recession."

"As a fair-minded member of the media or public, you know I couldn't just get elected and then ditch all these sacred cows, overnight.  Didn't you?  You must have expected me to show some deference to the union chaps that were kind enough to elect me."

"So now I am going to follow David's lead (Cameron that is, not my brother) and try to get people focused on 'responsible capitalism' (got a nice ring to it, don't you think?).  Of course there will be times I will over-step the mark and damage a business or two, but who will really notice? We can always blame that on the policies of the last government (Note to self - should I really say that?) "

"Some are saying that by now my poll ratings should be turning upwards.  Well to them I say, we are three years into this downturn, if the economy can't turn up, why do you expect me to?  I know some would say that with such a gloomy picture, Labour should look to be in a better position but how can I help it if The Guardian can't increase it's readership?!  After all we did for them, with thousands of pages of jobs and stuff - ungrateful, if you ask me!  Same for all those public sector workers - we gave them everything - okay much of it on other people's money but still..... "

Just why does Labour have a problem saying sorry for its mistakes?  It said sorry for Slavery, for the Irish Famine but can't find it in themselves to say sorry for their failings.

We have all heard the expression 'a labour of love'.  Now we know that Labour is the same as Love - it means you never have to say sorry!








No comments:

Post a Comment